CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

07 April 2009

Deprivated

Deprivated is not actually a word (hence the nasty, distracting red line that shows up underneath it every time I type it into a document). I have looked it up in a variety of dictionaries, and needless to say, it doesn't exist. Nonetheless, I use it. A lot. Deprivated means suffering from deprivation of some kind. According to WordWeb 5.52 (One of my favorite *can't-live-without-it* freeware programs) deprivation has three meanings - all of them abstract nouns. The first definition is "a state of extreme poverty." Unfortunately, I am very familiar with this particular definition. We'll get to that later. The second definition is "the disadvantage that results from losing something." I know all about this one, too. I am always losing something. Keys, passwords, important documents, lighters...I'm convinced it's genetic. The last definition of deprivation is "the act of depriving someone of food or money or rights." Not so familar with this one. I have more often been the deprivee than the depriver.


Sleep-deprivated, financially-deprivated, nutritionally-deprivated....all of the above apply at times. Sleep-deprivated, in particular, applies not only to me, but also to the rest of my immediate family. My kids stay up too late. My pseudo-husband works and goes to nursing school full time. Sleep has become a bit of a luxury for all of us. Being a mom of three, a pseudo-wife, a full-time student, and the neighborhood go-to-girl leaves little time for rest. I spend most of my days running on the sheer will to stay awake. I don't remember it being this way for my parents. Maybe it was, and I was just to oblivious to notice. I spent a lot of my youth oblivious...a fact that becomes more and more obvious with the steady passing of the days. Or maybe it's just that the pace at which we live our lives has picked up speed. It certainly seems that way at times. What say you?

Lastly, I have no idea the direction of this particular blog will take. I tend to be very random and think in a very stream of consciousness kind of way. Possibly a product of being sleep-deprivated. ;) There may be times that I am offensive. I speak sarcasm fluently. If I offend, remember you always have the option not to read. Although profanity is like a second language to me, I willl do my best to keep it to a minimum, as I know it is not always appreciated. That being said, y'all come back now, ya hear?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life has gotten more busy for me since I have a child but I was way more active in those years...B.C.(before child) Now I feel like I get"worn out" much quicker and I tend to deprive myself of sleep to gain my alone time. I think that life was just as busy for my parents as a kid but I was so self absorbed then that I didn't notice.

I'm glad to see ya blogging again. I wish I could but I would have to do it anonymously because too many people would just"Have to" judge me on my thoughts....and as you know...my thoughts can be .....a little outside the box! ;)

Ben

Miss Diane said...

I plan on stepping outside the box myself here on occasion. Hopefully, those who prefer to remain inside the box will respect my right to do so. I hope that blogging again will be a treat-the-symptoms remedy for my *thinking too much* syndrome. And I agree that our parents were probably just as busy as we are now. My mother and father raised me, and my older brother, while taking care of a terminally ill child 24/7. Sometimes I don't know how they did it.