CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

10 April 2009

The Fast and the Infuriating

Let me make it clear upfront that I'm not big on driving. It is far from my favorite activity. If I never had to drive again, I'd probably be cool with that. If I could have a super power it would be teleportation. Then I'd have no need for a car. I do, however, enjoy movies and video games that involve driving. I thought Death Race was a good remake. I liked The Italian Job and The Transporter movies. The Fast and the Furious was okay, but a bit overrated, IMHO. Some of my favorite driving games are Forza Motorsports, Need for Speed, Midnight Club and Dirt. I do not enjoy some of the adverse side effects titles like these produce.

The street racing mentality chaps my hide. It is usually exhibited by young men, I'd say under the age of 25 or so. For these particular individuals, movies and video games have bled over into real life. Yesterday, while I was driving down Airways with three kids in the car, I was first passed by a Mustang, then a Charger, then a beat-to-Hell-and-gone turbo-charged Supra. All of the above were well over the speed limit in rush hour traffic. The Mustang driver seemed oblivious to the fact that the Charger and Supra were trying hard to catch up, and presumably blow his doors off. The Charger might have had a chance. The Supra sounded like a dying giraffe and looked like it had been driven off of a cliff several times. They were lined up at the red light when I made my turn, thankful that I didn't have to witness the potential idiocy.

Here's my point. Games are not REAL. Movies are not REAL. Neither are meant to be REAL. Street racing in the movies is done in a controlled environment by professionals. *Street racing* in movies is glamorized, because it sells tickets. Street racing, IRL, is dangerous, dumb and potentially deadly. Individuals who engage in it are not only jeopardizing their own lives, but the lives of everyone else on the roads with them. That includes many of my family members and friends. Do everybody a favor, and *%$#*^ quit it!

Addendum: I do find it rather amusing that whenever I drive David's Honda Civic, I have people pull up next to me, and want to race. The look on their faces when they see a 40 year old female behind the wheel is pretty priceless. Nonetheless, they still want to race???? Wtf???

0 comments: